Monday, September 9, 2013

It Doesn't 'Gotta Be KD'

My name is Anna and I am a 20 year old university student with an interest in food, and therefore an interest in cooking! Apparently today no one has time to actually make their dinner, everyone just buys something pre-made and throws it in the oven (like my brother). Everyone thinks students live off of frozen pizzas and Kraft Dinner.. while some do, they don't have to! I do the cooking for myself and two of my other room mates and we always joke that we're probably the best fed university students. Unfortunately, I don't think we were too far off in saying that. All of these pre-made dinners are now so readily available no one needs to be able to cook but what a lot of people don't know or realize is how easy it is to make these dinners themselves - without all the added salt and chemicals! For example I looooooove pasta and I make it all the time, but I refuse to use a bottled or jarred sauce because it's too easy to make my own and it's simple but delicious! So having said that, today's recipe is linguine with tomato olives and spinach


Linguine with Tomato, Olives, and Spinach


This is one of my favourite pastas which is why I chose to make it for lunch today. Its a nice light pasta and the spinach makes you feel healthy!

olive oil
a handful of linguine
1 clove of garlic, chopped
4 basil leaves, chopped
1 large tomato (or two small tomatoes). diced
4 capers, finely chopped
a handful of olives, pitted and sliced
red wine

 Start by putting some water to boil to make the linguine. While you are waiting for the water to boil prep everything for the sauce. Pour about 2-3 tbsp of olive oil into a medium hot pan. First add the garlic, once it is slightly darker add the basil, olives, and capers.















Give it a quick toss then add the tomatoes. Add a splash of red wine then leave it to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes soften to a sauce-like consistency. Once the water is boiling add some salt and a little olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking together then throw the linguine in. Once the noodles are basically cooked, throw a big ass handful of spinach into the tomatoes. When the pasta is cooked drain it and throw it into the pan with the tomato.
















Mix everything together and serve! You can opt to grate a little parmesan cheese on top or serve it with a garlic crostini but I often just eat a nice big heaping plate of pasta for lunch! Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment